Top 10 IT Challenges Small Businesses Face Today
Top 10 IT Challenges Small Businesses Face Today
Blog updated Nov 2021 – Technology brings a multitude of IT challenges for small businesses. Hiring a fractional team of IT experts as a managed service can be the most cost-efficient means of solving these challenges. A professional team of experts that are current with the latest technologies can save time and money, protect secrets, provide less employee down time, and free up staff. Here at CopperTree Solutions we focus our efforts each day on helping companies meet the following top 10 challenges:
- Strategic IT Planning: According to ComputerWeekly.com, small businesses who implement a good IT strategy can cut costs and more easily scale. It is key for management to share the goals and objectives with their IT professionals, to plan for the changes in technology and special software apps to track, compare, communicate, flag, budget and schedule to meet your company’s goals and growth expectations.
- Data Security: It is critical to have the best security services and monitoring 24/7. Statistics reported by CyberSecurityMagazine.com state that “43% of all data security breaches involve small and medium sized businesses.” SMBs should continuously update security, set up data storage and back up to ensure privacy and safeguard company information.
- Cloud Computing: Cloud-based services have become so prevalent that, for many companies, it is difficult to imagine using applications and technology infrastructure components without the cloud. It’s reported that 95% of all workloads will be in the cloud by 2025 (FinanceOnline.com). The cloud increases efficiencies, provides a secondary backup resource, improves cash flow by cutting back on the high cost of hardware, faster disaster recovery, automatic software and security updates, plus more efficient document control from multiple sites.
- Technology Integration & Upgrades: Having new technology grafted onto older legacy systems can cause major unforeseen issues and inefficiencies. A specialist in software that will meet your current and future needs is important. Thorough planning before implementation will minimize these issues and cause less transition pains.
- Backup & Disaster Recovery Planning: Have you or your employee ever accidentally deleted a file, had a server crash, or another type of “data disaster?” According to a 2021 Global Data Risk Report, 33% of company folders are not protected in any way (Comparitech.com). It is critical to have a reliable backup and disaster recovery plan in place. Are all your programs and data protected and backed up if there was a fire or flood in your building? CopperTree Solutions can get you back up and running quickly and stress free with minimum downtime.
- Frustrated Employees: Interacting with technology is a huge part of your employees’ day. Using slow, outdated systems with frequent problems means a loss in productivity and frustrated staff. What does this decrease in output cost you? What does the frustration do to your employee retention rate? A 2020 survey reported by ZDNET.com states that “almost half (49%) of US workers say they are likely to leave their current job if they are unhappy or frustrated with the technology they use at work.”
- System Downtime: System crashes and accidents inevitably occur at the worst possible time. A survey of 200 small and medium sized businesses found they lost an average of 14 hours per year due to IT system downtime, as reported by InformationWeek.com. Finding help during holidays or after hours to get things up and running is often impossible. With 24/7 monitoring and a team of specialists available with solutions, you know you are in good hands and can avoid costly down time.
- Tracking & Analysis: According to Business.com, having a pro-active service in place that tracks issues and analyzes data “reduces costs and increases efficiency.” They also report that only 45% of small business owners perform any type of analysis. Tracking and analysis will often find issues that can be easily resolved, or that flag a symptom of a greater problem.
- Hacking: Hackers are becoming more sophisticated and small businesses are being targeted more than ever before. Preventing being hacked is key, as is being able to quickly respond to a successful hack. According to IBM.com, the average time for a small business to detect a threat is over 210 days while the mean time to contain/respond is 75 days. It is critical to protect your trade secrets, confidential contracts, sensitive communication, customer information, and HR records. It is equally critical to prepare in advance so that you can move fast in the event of a breach. Check out our cost-saving solutions and know you are protected with the finest, current technology.
- Maintenance Requirements: Systems need regular maintenance to ensure they run properly and securely. Being pro-active pays off! Small businesses who regularly maintain their systems will incur minimal upkeep costs, whereas small business owners who wait too long incur more cost and risk to update their systems. A regular maintenance routine is key.
CopperTree Solutions provides managed IT services for small and mid-size businesses in Ontario, Canada. Our business focus and proactive approach provide strength beyond IT, reducing the frequency and severity of IT issues. We build out right-sized systems that support your business needs, and we monitor and protect your IT infrastructure to deliver greater employee productivity and peace of mind.
CONTACT: Colin at 519-804-2461 or email us at Colin.Shantz@ctsol.ca